- The need for over 113,000 miles of long haul fibre optic cable with a cost ranging between $6,000-$247,000 per mile costing billions plus maintenance
- The tech bubble had sewn the seeds of doubt around technology investments
- The technological barriers still existed in terms of hardware and infrastructure
- Credit cards over the internet were confusing and not demanded by customers
- People reportedly like going to their local store to run into neighbors and for the social aspect
- Popcorn sales and late fees were not compatible with the streaming model
- The studio licensing models (though evolving) created extremely high costs for Blockbuster
At the time, a small DVD rental-by-mail service saw things differently. Their name was Netflix.
The charitable sector faces a stark parallel to Blockbuster twenty year ago.